Thursday, August 27, 2009

The L Word Lives

As I was watching the news coverage of Ted Kennedy’s death and subsequently his life, I saw him quote his brother John Kennedy about being a liberal.
"If by a “Liberal” they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a “Liberal,” then I’m proud to say I’m a “Liberal.”

I love this explanation of being a liberal and I am also proud to be a liberal. I’m tired of people avoiding the label of liberal because it seems to have a bad reputation in the media. The demise of the liberal name was a calculated campaign by conservatives and I’m taking back the word!
Here are some quotes from the conservative fear mongers.
Empathy" is the latest code word for liberal activism.
Karl Rove
I’m sorry Mr. Rove, but keep off of empathy. Without empathy our country, our world will be sad and miserable.

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.”
Robert Frost
Ok, so we are open minded, I really don’t see why this is such a bad thing.

Another famous quote by Winston Churchill and later used by Reagan:
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
Well, if this is true, may I never grow up!


Now here is a voice from a long time ago that I think is very appropriate for modern liberals.
“As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality.”
George Washington

Finally, Here is another quote that need to be implemented now!
“Democracy is an impossible thing until the power is shared by all, but let not democracy degenerate into mobocracy.” Ghandi

Teddy Kennedy and his liberalness will be much missed!

No comments: