Wednesday, January 21, 2009

History Starts Now

I was lucky enough to make it safely to Washington DC and witness history unfolding on January 20th, 2009. My position in the sun meant I could really only see Michelle’s yellow outfit and President Barack Obama’s red tie when the oath of office was taken. This held no effect on me or the crowd around me as we cheered with elation as the reality of a new era sunk into our emotions.
Moving forward none of us should expect miracles or even that everything will be fixed within the next four years. However, a feeling of relief has washed over me (and many others) like a soft blanket in winter. I woke up this morning and saw the American flag on a shelf in the living room and for the first time in years I didn’t pass it with a sense of yearning, but rather a sense of dignity.
Today, President Barack Obama gets to work at the most challenging job in the world. Already his leadership has been exposed. He signed an executive order to require ethics in his administration. This is a step in the right direction and sets the tone for his expectations. He also began taking action on Guantanamo Bay, which affirms his commitment to closing the prison, symbol of the recent demise of civil liberties. It is my great hope that within days the global gag rule, which denies and undermines healthcare access to several people in need across the globe, especially women, will be overturn.

As the crowds streamed off the capital lawn, I looked towards the next step in this journey. What will happen in the next 4 (hopefully 8) years? How will the country and the world react? What will America look like next January 20th? I can hope it is a little bit better and we all can be beacons of that hope by helping each other out from time to time.

No comments: