Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Speaking of Human Rights



I was not confronted with the notion that human rights shouldn’t automatically be considered a universal truth until I was 27 years old.

In my kitchen, I was having a conversation with a young man with a silver spoon and a business degree. We began to talk about the world and economic exploitation. He was ok with it and I wasn’t. At one point in my frustration, I simply said “What about human rights?” He seemed puzzled by the question and responded with another question “Do you actually believe everyone is entitled to human rights?” Now it was my turn to be puzzled. My mind was swimming because it had never occurred that human rights shouldn’t be universal. So, I simply answered “yes.”

Now, a few years later I still believe human rights are universal. It is complicated and when I argued in the kitchen I understood that cultural imperialism and policing world were not good things. However, I never questioned the idea of human rights.

Some intellectuals see the western view of human rights as an infringement on group rights and cultural freedom. Also, governments have marched into war in the name of human rights even though most people understand that isn’t their true motivation. So there is no denying the complexity of this issue.

However, I think as rational beings (for the most part) we know what is fundamentally right and wrong. Therefore when a cultural perpetuates human rights abuses, (such as female genital mutilation, honor killing, apartheid, etc.) that part of the culture should be changed. Even understanding my position as a woman who grew up in the United States, I hold firm in the belief that there are some rights that are indeed universal.

What are those rights is another question. One that I hope to explore further, as well as solutions to stopping economic exploitation and other human abuses.

No comments: